SCIENCE: Speech and swallowing abnormalities in adults with POLG associated ataxia
• 100% of patients with POLG-A present with dysarthria and dysphagia
• POLG patients without ataxia do not present with speech or swallowing deficits.
• Speech is characterized by deficits in timing, voice quality and control.
• Swallowing function is effected by deficits of timing and coordination.
• Speech and swallowing deficits progress distinctly from other POLG-A dysfunctions like ataxia or cognitive impairment.
Click here for more details.